Braided Nutella Bread
This is one the best recipe simply you can impress kids to adult. It is not as difficult as it looks just follow the steps carefully soon you will be serving up a masterpiece
- Wheat flour – 400g
- Sugar – 75g
- Melted Butter – 30g
- Instant dry Yeast – 2 tsp
- Salt a pinch
- Fresh milk – 180ml (Slightly warm)
- Egg yolks – 2 ( Keep the egg white to brush it on top)
- Nutella – 2 cups or as needed
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Place 400 g of the flour bowl and then add the dry ingredients – that’s the sugar, yeast, and salt. Give them a quick mix.
- Next add the wet ingredients which is the melted butter, warmed milk and egg yolks.
- Mix all together until it turns to a dough. if you find the dough too sticky add little more flour.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place onto the work counter. Using your hand, knead the dough for approximately 10 minutes until the dough is beautifully smooth and silky.
- Pour the vegetable oil into your bowl and roll the dough in the oil so it is coated all over.
- Seal the bowl with plastic wrap or cover with a damp cloth and leave in a warm place for at least a couple of hours to allow the dough to rise. (Since we used milk it takes little longer time than the other dough)
- how quickly the dough rises depends on how warm the area is where you place the bowl but you want the dough to at least double in size
- Once the dough has risen remove it from the bowl and place it on the work surface. Knead it gently to knock the air out.
- Make the dough in to a log shape and cut the dough into 4 equal pieces
- At this stage you will be working on one piece of dough so keep the other pieces covered with a damp cloth or plastic wrap
- Taking one piece of dough roll it into a ball. Dust the counter with a little flour and using a rolling pin roll the dough out to form around 25cm or 10 inch circle
- Place a baking sheet on a baking tray and slide the dough onto it.
- Mark a circle on the dough. I used an upturned dinner plate as a guide and just pushed it onto the dough to form an impression. (This is just to show the area that I spread the Nutella onto)
- Place the Nutella into a small bowl or ramekin and warm it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to make it easier to spread onto the dough. Using a knife evenly spread the Nutella onto the circle of dough
- Now take the second piece of dough and roll it out to form another 25cm or 10 inch circle.Once it is the right size gently lift it onto of the first circle (which is covered with Nutella). Use the plate again to make the circle impression and spread it with Nutella
- Repeat this process with the third piece of dough
- For the last piece of dough roll it out to the correct size and lift onto of the other layers but don’t spread this layer with Nutella
- Taking the dinner plate once again lay it on top of the doughs and using a sharp knife cut through all the layers to form a perfect circle of layered dough. Discard the excess dough
- Take a small drinking glass and place that in the centre of the dough as a guide
- Use a sharp knife and cut through the dough from the edge of the glass to the edge of the dough at 3 o’clock, 6 o’clock, 9 o’clock, and 12 o’clock. (So from the centre of the dough out to the edge)
- Then divide each quarter in half and then in half again so you have 16 cut sections in total
- Take hold of one piece of dough and twist it twice around in the same direction and then lay it down on the paper. Then take the piece next to it and twist it twice around in the opposite direction and lay it down
- You can take two pieces at the same time and twist them in opposite directions to each other
- To finish each petal off lift the ends of the twisted bread and pinch them together tightly. Work around the dough until all 16 pieces have been twisted and you have 8 twisted and pinched petals
- Now cover the dough with a damp cloth and leave for 20 minutes or so to allow the dough to rise once again.
- Preheat the Oven to 180 C
- Once the bread had risen, take the egg whites that you kept from earlier and using a brush gently brush it over the surface of the dough
- Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until it turned golden brown
- If you like you can brush sugar and water over the surface once it came out of the oven to give it a nice glossy finish ( Make sure you do this when the bread is hot)
- Allow your bread to cool slightly and it is ready to serve
*Thanks to steve’s kitchen